lymph glands

For everyone, patients, families, friends, carers...share your methods for coping, your frustrations and seek support

Moderators: pennycsf, PaddyFrog, KarenVM87, Cathy Allen

dubs

lymph glands

Postby dubs » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:55 pm

If the lymphs glands are cleared when tested,is it advisable to have them removed anyway.It is one question I forgot to ask my surgeon.Perhaps someone has had to make this decision?

biggles

Re: lymph glands

Postby biggles » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:05 pm

Hmmmmmm. I am afraid I can't help you there. My lymph glands were removed during my mastectomy op and tested after that, so there wasn't any decision to make. I have a vague feeling, maybe someone else knows, that the surgeon tends to err on the side of caution and remove as few as possible. Without further information I think I'd accept the surgeons advice.

Biggles ;)

pennycsf
Site Admin

Postby pennycsf » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:33 pm

Hi Dubs
Like Biggles, my lymph nodes (or glands) were dealt with when I had too had a mastectomy. However, I have done a search on the forum and one member, Lahlah, had her lymph nodes tested before her op. There is quite a bit about lymph nodes on the forum but it is a bit dotted about so I suggest you use the search facility to have a look. You may need to search twice, once under lymph glands and once under lymph nodes as people use both terms.

I feel you need to follow the advice of your consultant/surgeon on lymph node removal. They are not removed unnecessarily, as lack of them can produce other niggly problems (which you will see from the posts!) and it is better to avoid if possible.

Good luck,
Penny

dubs

Postby dubs » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:39 pm

Hello
I had my tumeur removed two weeks ago.Also one lymp node was removed during the op which thankfully was clear.Since the op I have had a bone scan.I return to see the consultant next Friday to hear what the future treatment will be.
Thank you for your support.

pennycsf
Site Admin

Postby pennycsf » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:02 pm

Hello Dubs
What good news! :D Apart from the relief on the lymph node side of things, how are you feeling now after the op? :?

Fingers crossed that the bone scan will also be fine. We'll be thinking of you when you go for the next consultation, let us know how you get on.

Penny

dubs

Postby dubs » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:30 pm

I had my consultation yesterday .My Doctor is very pleased with the post op results .
Next week I go to see the oncologist to arrange a course of radiotherapy. Perhaps someone has had radiotherapy and could advise me what to expect after each session.
I have recovered very well after the op ,just have a little stiffness in the arm sometimes.

biggles

Postby biggles » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:40 pm

Hello Dubs
So glad to see that things are looking good!

I had 25 sessions of radiotherapy, that is five times a week for five weeks. This was in 2007 so it may be different now or in your area BUT for me, the first appointment was to set up the machinery and put tattoo marks on my chest to indicate the area which was going to be treated. The tattoos are little dots and before each session the technician joined the dots up with a washable product. After that, I had my appointment early in the morning (8.30am) and was always out and on my way home by 9am. The actual zapping only takes a minute or two, positioning you on the table takes the longest time. They do take enormous care to make sure that you don't get any rays in the wrong place.

It doesn't hurt at all, uncomfortable on the table because you have to be still and in my case my arm was in an odd position. After about a week I started to get some redness and by the end it was quite sore, like sunburn. The technicians did keep a good eye open for anything untoward and did advise on soaps (or lack of them!). When I came to the end, I was advised to cover the area in almond oil which I did.

Hope that helps a bit,
Good luck
Biggles ;)

pennycsf
Site Admin

Postby pennycsf » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:45 pm

Hi Dubs
Me too, really pleased to see that everything is looking positive.

For help with the radiotherapy, if you have a look in the Documents, Translated Documents section of the Forum you will see that there are some Radiotherapy Advice Leaflets which have been translated and can be downloaded. One is advice on radiotherapy for people with breast cancer.

That may give you a few clues too.

If you have a problem with the download, let me know and I will e-mail it to you.

Best of luck
Penny

Return to “Coping and support”