Chemo experiences and Breast cancer

For everyone, patients, families, friends, carers...share your methods for coping, your frustrations and seek support

Moderators: pennycsf, PaddyFrog, KarenVM87, Cathy Allen

pennycsf
Site Admin

Chemo experiences and Breast cancer

Postby pennycsf » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:54 am

This is a post taken from the Welcome Forum which describes one person's experience of chemo/radio and life during chemo. Any more stories on this which might be useful?

Penny :)

I finished my radiotherapy ((after chemotherapy) in early December, and I've recently had my first post-treatment mammogram, which was clear. I waited until my hair startedto come out (around fifteen days from the first session of chemo) and then my daughter shaved it. I bought wigs and various scarves, and can honestly say that have never had so many compliments as when I wore my wig! If I wanted to go for the sympathy vote, I put a scarf on. Life had to be put on hold - although I only had side effects on the fourth day of the second type of chemotherapy (taxoterre) - when I got griping stoach pains and had to get some 'spasfon' from the doctor. Otherwise the actual treatment day was just boring! I suggest you get an ipad, smart phone, kindle or whatever will keep you occupied for two - three hours. The radiotherapy was just a fifteen minute in and out - and my hospital had special parking spaces reserved for radiotherapy patients. I drove myself the whole time - 50 km each way, so ended up with a nice reimbursement in lieu of taking taxis (it's how I bought my ipad). The worst thing about the radiotherapy is that it was impossible to get into a routine, since each appointment could be at a different time - you are given a card at the end of each week with the appointments for the following week. I abadoned my strict diet during chemoherapy, and actually put on around 10 kilos - now trying to get that off! So, nobody need actually know unless you want them to. You do get lots of comments about 'how brave you are' or 'you are fighting it' but in reality there seems to be little that you can actually do that will influence the outcome, other than adhering to the course of treatment. Others may disagree with me! I don't know where you are, but I had a 'buddy' who was going through a similar process about six weeks ahead of me - so could give me relevant information about my particular hospital, and the consultants. Maybe if there is a CSF covering your area they might know of someone in that situation? I'm happy to help if I can - send me a pm with your contact details if you wish. I am lucky because I have an outlet for my creativity in fused glass - and that helps to keep my mind occupied - but you are bound to have dark episodes, just stick with it!

Return to “Coping and support”