Treatment for ovarian cancer

For everyone, patients, families, friends, carers...share your methods for coping, your frustrations and seek support

Moderators: pennycsf, PaddyFrog, KarenVM87, Cathy Allen

Lindy

Treatment for ovarian cancer

Postby Lindy » Tue May 08, 2012 9:09 am

Is there anyone having treatment for secondary ovarian cancer ?
I was treated in France first time round for Ovarian cancer ..but it has returned .
I have an appointment in Caen at the end of May .

pennycsf
Site Admin

Re: Treatment for ovarian cancer

Postby pennycsf » Tue May 08, 2012 9:24 am

Hi Lindy,
What a blow, so sorry that you are facing this again. You say it is secondary OC, do you mean the original OC has returned or it has returned elsewhere? This cancer jargon gets quite confusing. We certainly have members of the Forum with secondary breast cancer, I don't know about ovarian.

Please use the Forum for support in any event and there is a CSF Group which may be near you in Normandy, it is CSF Basse-Normandie and covers departments 14, 50 and 61. You can find their details in the Regional Contacts forum and they will be able to provide support too, by telephone if you wish.

Penny

termietermite

Postby termietermite » Wed May 09, 2012 11:39 am

Oh, b*mm*r. I have had first line treatment only - my first 3 month checkup after the all clear is on Friday and I'm very nervous about it.

Sorry I can't help with this but to send some sisterly support. You could try the Ovacome forum - OK they're UK based but are full of helpful stuff and helped me when I was trying to figure out what my "ganglions" were! I'm in the Sarthe so not all that far from you. If you need any moral support, feel free to pm me.

pennycsf
Site Admin

Postby pennycsf » Wed May 09, 2012 5:53 pm

Fingers crossed for Friday, it is always a nervy experience even when you are SURE it is OK. My guess is it will stay like that for ever, how ever many checks one has! All we can do is keep :D
Penny

Snuggles

Postby Snuggles » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:57 pm

The waiting is stressful...I've been undergoing tests for Ovarian cancer. I had my MRI scan a few days ago and after the scan was sent to wait in the waiting room for my results. After a 30min wait I was told the results would be sent to my gynecologist...my guts saying bad news and my heads all over the place...guidance needed!

pennycsf
Site Admin

Postby pennycsf » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:44 pm

Hello Snuggles
Sadly, this is often the worst part, the "not knowing". It may be that the MRI results need more study. My first MRI (for breast cancer) took 48 hours before the results were available, I was told because the technician needed more time to analyse the results in greater detail. With a subsequent scan they were available almost straight away. But I do agree, one thinks the worst, it would be abnormal not to.

Did the hospital give you an idea when the results would be with your gynae and do you have an appointment with hm/her already? If not, I suggest you do make one asap so that there is positive progress and you have something to focus on.

Where in France are you? there may a CSF group nearby who can give some support.

And if you are very stressed, maybe not sleeping, do see your GP for something to help with that. Don't struggle bravely on, you need to keep all your force to face whatever there is to come.

Do let us know how you get on and feel free to winge and worry and complain here. That is what we are here for.

Penny

Snuggles

Postby Snuggles » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:24 pm

I finally received my results last week and with my appointment this coming week, I'm hoping some light can be shed on them....I don't understand the medical speak, tried to google translate it but it's a bit sketchy. It's seems the growth on my ovary has an extension to the posterior wall, well that explains all the back pain I have on a daily basis. I was also sent for a mammogram depistage two weeks ago and a lump was found in one breast, my MRI scan is this week!!! rightly or wrongly I am coming to terms with the fact this could be cancer...but I'm holding on to all hope that it's just a bizarre coincidence!!

pennycsf
Site Admin

Postby pennycsf » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:38 am

Hello

I would be very wary of googling anything until you have spoken to your doctor. It is extremely easy to misunderstand medical jargon. And do take someone with you to the consultation, again, it is so easy to latch on to one thing and miss something else.

Breast lumps are very common so this could be something quite different. With the possibility of ovarian cancer it would be normal to follow any slight abnormality with an MRI scan. Not helpful, I am afraid, but fingers crossed everything becomes clearer soon and the breast lump is not suspicious.

Thinking of you
Penny

Snuggles

Postby Snuggles » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:11 pm

I've finally had my appointment with my consultant and I can't believe how lucky I am. The cysts on my ovary and back are benign! I had my MRI for the breast lumps and I need another mammogram in 6months, all in all I am feeling relieved and lucky. It's been a worrying time and while I appreciate this forum, I hope I don't need to come back! I wish you all the best of luck with you're battles and wish you all well xx

pennycsf
Site Admin

Postby pennycsf » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:26 pm

That's smashing news!! :D

I sincerely hope you won't be needing the forum again, but at least you know that it is here for you and anyone else who may need it.

Very best wishes for a happy future
Penny

Return to “Coping and support”