"Microsoft Support" scam - be warned

A forum to report any problems or suggestions relating to the technical workings of the forum.
Start a New Topic with a meaningful heading.
Alternatively e-mail webmaster@csf-forum.org
Please - no posts relating to cancer support!

Moderator: Cathy Allen

webmaster

"Microsoft Support" scam - be warned

Postby webmaster » Sun May 12, 2013 1:20 pm

A lot of people in France and England have received telephone calls purporting to be from Microsoft Support.

The callers are actually from a company trying to defraud you by getting you to give them bank and/or credit card details to pay them for "resolving" problems with your Windows computer. So far all the callers have an Indian or Pakistani accent, with very English sounding names such as John Smith!

Do not believe them - hang up! There is no way that Microsoft, or any other company, can know what is on your computer and how well or badly it is running, unless you tell them. If the caller persists (and they have actually re-telephoned one person who knew they were criminals and told them so, denying this) the simplest way to stop them is to tell them that you do not use Windows, but you have an Apple Mac or a Linux system.

Be aware - never give bank or credit card details unless you are 100% sure who you are dealing with!!!

goldenoldie

Re: "Microsoft Support" scam - be warned

Postby goldenoldie » Mon May 13, 2013 8:33 am

I was that person the webmaster is talking about and these people DO phone about every 2 months. I am glad the webmaster has given me a "cop out" by telling them I no longer use Windows...I will remember that for next time, thank you!
Please note they are VERY persuasive and logical in what they say, if you are like me and not very good with the nitty-gritty of computers. Lucky I AM street-wise enough to not give my details to anyone over the phone or by email. As Webmaster says ...BEWARE!

biggles

Re: "Microsoft Support" scam - be warned

Postby biggles » Mon May 13, 2013 6:10 pm

ANd my Mum was called in England with the same scam. Warn anyone you know, it is easy to be sucked in if you have a genuine problem with your computer at the moment of the call!

Biggles ;)

Return to “Webmaster”