Page 1 of 1

Who can give me my Prostap injection

Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:38 pm
by Bazza
I am moving to France and as yet dont have insurance. I have advanced PCa which is under good conttol. I have a Prostap injection every eight weeks but its a hassle comjng back to tbe UK. Does anyone know where I can find an exeperienced prostate cancer nurse to administer my injection. I live in Tarn 81 district.

Thank you

Re: Who can give me my Prostap injection

Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:42 am
by KarenVM87
My advice is to firstly to register with a médecine générale (Doctor) and he/she will be able to advise you on this. You should be able to get 100% cover for your cancer, but you need to give him/her all the information regarding this. Here there are Infirmières à domicile (district nurses) who may be able to do this at their cabinet or at home, or if this requires a specialist nurse your Doctor will help. In any case you will need an ordonnance (prescription) for all. Perhaps when you are settled here contact the national helpline 0800 240 200 who will put you in touch with your nearest Cancer Support France association who will be able to answer any questions.
Good Luck with your new adventure.

Re: Who can give me my Prostap injection

Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:04 am
by CarmasTARN
Hi Bazza. I am a CSF representative in the Tarn and we have found out some information on your injection. Apologies for the delay in getting back to you.

Prostap is the English name, in France it is called Decapeptyl. It is an expensive drug, about 450€ so it would be better to have it covered by the Affectation de longue duree and carte vitale, and this will depend on your medical cover in France. You will need to register with a doctor, to get an Ordonnance, which is the prescription or referral that you need to buy medication and to receive treatment. If you receive the Affectation de Longue Duree, which essentially is free health cover to those with long term illness, all this will be free. I am not sure what the cost would be if you are not in the system.

It may be an option that you can still buy it in the UK and bring it over, but we are really not sure, you will also have to check this with your doctor.

Apparently, in France they administer it every three months, not eight weeks. Also, there are two different liquids, depending on the stage you are at.

Any nurse or infirmiere a domicile (which is the equivalent of a district nurse that comes to the house) can administer it. The injection itself cost 8.58€ so really cheap, but you will still need that ordonnance from the doctor.

If you would like to find out more, please let me know and I can arrange for you to speak to someone about it directly. We have people available who know the French system intimately and can assist you in finding out the information that you need. Call the helpline 0800 240 200 and I will let them know that I have messaged you on the forum and they will direct you back to us here in the Tarn.

Also, seeing as you are in the Tarn, it might be of interest to you to know that we have a drop in coffee morning every second and third Wednesday of the month, in Gaillac and St Antonin respectfully. Let me know if you would like some more information. We always have a trained CSF representative at these coffee mornings who will be able to assist you. They are informal social events, and everyone is welcome.

Take care and look forward to hearing from you.