Welcome

This forum is for new members. Find out a little about Cancer Support France and its aims, introduce yourself, if you wish, and meet other members.

Moderators: pennycsf, PaddyFrog, KarenVM87, Cathy Allen

hottie

Re: Welcome

Postby hottie » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:51 pm

Hi I'm Hottie, President of CSF - Sud de France, covering the Aude, Ariege and Pyrennees Orientales. I haven't had cancer myself but for nearly 3 years I cared for and supported my husband who had Waldenstrom's Macroglobuanaemia, a disease somewhere between Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma and Multiple Myeloma. His treatment was mainly at Purpan Hospital, Toulouse but also at Carcassonne Hospital. He sadly lost his fight against cancer in July 2009, so I have also unfortunately had some first-hand experience of dealing with funerals, succession, bereavement etc. I'm happy to answer any questions I can

Paolina

Postby Paolina » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:27 am

Hello, I have just found this site and am so pleased to find a forum where people can share their experiences, especially in answering or helping with those silly questions one is constantly thinking about but never remembers or is too shy to ask a doctor. I will be posing a few queries on the cancer treatment section and hope some kind people will reply. This is a tremendous lifeline for people having gone through major operations followed by chemotherapy. So far the only people I have come into contact with are my fellow patients at the day hospital when I am having treatments. Unfortunately my french is not good enough to enquire, without sounding an idiot or intrusive, how they have coped (or are coping) psychologically and physically with all the accompanying problems one is faced with in having this disease. Paolina

goldenoldie

Postby goldenoldie » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:06 pm

Hi Paolina...welcome to the Clan! No question can seem too silly or moronic for us to find an answer, so please keep the questions coming. You have not said whereabouts you are..."our" area covers the P.O.,Aude and Ariege...a large part of the furthest South West. No need to give intimate details of your address, just a rough idea, then we can offer you the help most close to you, if needs be.
This is one situation where you - as a "foreigner" will be in the minority at any clinic but there is nearly always someone who will come with you and "sit in" while the talking is going on - if you wish. Its easy to miss bits of what is said, even for the best of us. It is a stressful situation. With so many different members who have so many different sorts of cancer, one of us can usually help and support you...if we do not know the answer..we know "a man who can" because there are the other branches throughout France to call on.

So its now over to you...start asking! :roll: :D

Paolina

Postby Paolina » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:43 pm

Really appreciate your reply, I live very far from your area and I have a wonderful taxi driver who speaks very good English who sometimes stays with me and translates. The doctors tend to speak English but being a day hospital for treatments only, they are always in a rush. I will post some questions with the hope that someone may have a similar cancer to mine who can relate and answer the questions. Some questions may be generic for all sufferers but being a first time patient, it is difficult to know. No one in my family has had cancer so it is all a bit of a mystery as to what to expect and what is normal. thank you again for replying so swiftly. Paolina

goldenoldie

Postby goldenoldie » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:48 pm

Hi Paolina...glad to be of service...that's what we are here for. Please feel free to ask any question you like of us, but also have a look on the "Regional Boards" section because if you are a long way from us, there will be another branch of the same thing a bit nearer, who could do more for you than just answer questions. Our branch for example have meetings, book exchange and telephone help for those who need it and much more, besides the general information site of the forum. Either way you will get as much support as you need...but without feeling any obligation to join in anything IF you do not want to.

We all know organisations where you end up doing things you would rather not, so we all make sure the CSF does not end up like that. ;)

Mammie

Postby Mammie » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:00 pm

Hello I was diagnosed with BC a year ago, have had lumpectomy, chemo and radio which finished on 31 May. Am feeling fine now. I am in Loire Atlantique (44) and there seems to be no others in this area. I have full confidence in the system here and am willing to help anyone locally or just be there to talk!
Please do contact if I can help. I was fortunate to find amongst friends locally 2 who had been through the mill and it does help.

pennycsf
Site Admin

Postby pennycsf » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:21 pm

Hello Mammie
I am glad that you have joined us and it is lovely to hear a positive story. Don't hesitate to post anything which you feel might be useful to others. Also, may I ask you to keep an eye on the Forum for new posts as you may have just the answer or experience that someone else needs.

You are quite right (having been through the process too) it does help to know that there are others struggling with similar problems in a foreign country.

Penny :D

patsy47

Postby patsy47 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:21 pm

Hello. I'm moving to France next year and have questions re my treatment which I'm hoping some one on this lovely site will be able to answer.

I was DX June last year with Invasive ductal carcinoma, have had 2 ops, radiotherapy, chemotherapy and a bilateral salpingo oopherectomy.

We were going to retire to France when my husband got to 55 but realising life can be shorter than expected have decided to move sooner rather than later. I'm having no treatment now as allergic to the arimidex and tamoxofin so just check ups every 6 months.

I'll look for the right place to ask my questions but just saying hi here!

Oh and we're moving near to Mansle. :)

csfmoneybags

Postby csfmoneybags » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:29 am

Patsy

You will be in the Charente-Plus area - President Pat Hyatt, and also not far from CSF HQ in Benest (16350). Look at the contacts page here for details.

Andy

patsy47

Postby patsy47 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:08 pm

Thank you Andy

Return to “Welcome”