Prostate cancer

This forum is for new members. Find out a little about Cancer Support France and its aims, introduce yourself, if you wish, and meet other members.

Moderators: pennycsf, PaddyFrog, KarenVM87, Cathy Allen

evianers

Prostate cancer

Postby evianers » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:49 am

Hello everyone: Sheila here.
Men! I begged the OH to go to the doctor for two years. The response was 'nag, nag, nag'.
When he finally got around to going, our worst fears were confirmed. Of the 12 biopsies taken, 5 were positive, meaning we were already at 7/8 on the Gleason scale. NB, four months ago, neither of us had ever heard of the Gleason scale and we did not even know where our nearest large hospital was, now we know the inside like the backs of our proverbial hands. Backwards and forwards for scans [to see whether the cancer had spread to the bones], blood tests, urine tests, hospital visits, chest X-ray, electro-cardiogram and, and, and. You all know how it goes.
Upshot is that day before yesterday OH had a radical prostatectomy which took 5 hours followed by another 4 hours in recovery. Yesterday he was very sorry for himself, having three different drips in his left arm, a catheter for extraneous blood, catheter for wee, meaning he could not move anywhere. However, today on the telephone he tells me that the drips have been taken away, and he has had "biscottes et confiture" for breakfast. So be it. The staff in Thonon Hospital are marvellous, so caring and professional.
Quite honestly, I feel absolutely drained, but must stay strong as life goes on and a positive attitude is obviously invaluable.
Thanks for looking/listening. Anyone else in similar circumstances please share. Thank you in advance.

pennycsf
Site Admin

Re: Prostate cancer

Postby pennycsf » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:09 pm

Hello Sheila
Thanks for joining us, no wonder you are drained, it is an exhausting mental, as well as physical, journey for you both. And I don't care what people say, the partner is just as whacked as the patient, they carry the added burden of having to watch.

It will be a long road for you both, getting used to life after the op etc. and I do so hope you will find some support here. Could I also ask you to share with us any experiences which would benefit other members or forum watchers? As we are spread across France, any information can be helpful to others.

All best wishes and may the biscotte and confiture soon move on to something more substantial!!

Penny :)

evianers

Re: Prostate cancer

Postby evianers » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:15 pm

pennycsf wrote:Hello Sheila
Thanks for joining us, no wonder you are drained, it is an exhausting mental, as well as physical, journey for you both. And I don't care what people say, the partner is just as whacked as the patient, they carry the added burden of having to watch.

It will be a long road for you both, getting used to life after the op etc. and I do so hope you will find some support here. Could I also ask you to share with us any experiences which would benefit other members or forum watchers? As we are spread across France, any information can be helpful to others.

All best wishes and may the biscotte and confiture soon move on to something more substantial!!

Penny :)

Super that you have responded so quickly Penny and thank you very much for your support and comforting words.
What I did not mention [too much at once]? is that there are also two tumours on one of my husband's kidneys which will have to be investigated at a later stage. We enquired of the Urologist, but he told us because of the different areas, the two operations could not be done at once. So one step at a time, but this other problem also has to be dealt with later. But life goes on doesn't it, and there is no point in becoming an ostrich!

Return to “Welcome”