Hello fellow combatants

This forum is for new members. Find out a little about Cancer Support France and its aims, introduce yourself, if you wish, and meet other members.

Moderators: pennycsf, PaddyFrog, KarenVM87, Cathy Allen

ChrisG

Hello fellow combatants

Postby ChrisG » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:55 pm

I am certainly no victim, and to me at least, “cancer sufferer” already implies submission.. so I choose to be a cancer combatant.

After a month of tests, it’s now been a week since I was diagnosed with adenocarcinoma of the lung, with mets in the bones, adrenal gland, liver, and lymphs. It’s now a frenzy of activity before starting chemo on Thursday 22nd.

We were warned this was the likely outcome, and my wife and I had already begun recording the battle even before the official diagnosis.

Well, that’s what we do - and why we came to France. We are documentary producers.

We cast up at our home in beautiful Rochechouart on June 6th at the start of what was going to be a new chapter in our lives. We’d given up our regular jobs as broadcast journalists in Hong Kong to embark on a freelance career as social documentary filmmakers - Ridealist.

But a persistent and painful swelling on my clavicle gave us some pause in our preparations, and eventually led us to where we are now - the unusual position of making a documentary about ourselves.

We are still developing the storyline - but we would be delighted to hear from any other cancer combatants who perhaps might consider sharing their story. We anticipate this to be an exclusively online production, either as an ongoing “video blog” - or a short self-contained documentary. Whatever the outcomes, we want this documentary not only to be a resource of information and varied opinion/talking points to others who are treading this path, but also to be a source of encouragement.

Chris & Shirley Gelken
Rochechouart 87600 Haute-Vienne

evianers

Re: Hello fellow combatants

Postby evianers » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:37 pm

Well, bravo that you have such a wonderfully positive attitude despite the rather gloomy prognosis.
Keep fighting! We did, and one year on, have just come back from a bicycle ride. Last week we hiked
up a very steep Swiss mountain to 2275 meters so there's life in the old dog yet! No-one says it is
going to be easy, but keeping the proverbial stiff upper lip helps tremendously - everyone tell you.
If you need any additional support, please post again or otherwise send a PM. Bon courage.

pennycsf
Site Admin

Postby pennycsf » Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:11 pm

Welcome to the CSF Forum, Chris. Sorry to see you here, but pleased that you have joined us.

Due to our complex HonCode accreditation, only Moderators or others authorised can add links, so I have been obliged to remove your link to Ridealist. However, being nosy and working on the assumption that you have used your "real" name at the end of your post, I took the liberty of looking at some of the things that you and Shirley have produced. (Merci Google :D !)

I am sure you will both face this new challenge with all the guts that you have used in your work in the past. I hope that this Forum will give you a chance to share your experiences, seek support and also provide information on life in France with a cancer diagnosis.

Penny

biggles

Postby biggles » Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:34 pm

Hi Chris,

I love your description of combatant! Like Penny, sorry to see you here with us, but START FIGHTING!!!!
Biggles ;)

Return to “Welcome”