new to Cancer

This forum is for new members. Find out a little about Cancer Support France and its aims, introduce yourself, if you wish, and meet other members.

Moderators: pennycsf, PaddyFrog, KarenVM87, Cathy Allen

soledad

new to Cancer

Postby soledad » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:30 pm

Hello, everyone,
First I want to wish everyone a Very Happy New Year.
I'm new to Cancer, just been diagnosed 20th Dec with BC.
I am French, worked and lived in the UK 10 years and am now lost in Brittany (22, near Loudeac) where my husband and I bought and renovated a house. I am native of south west France, Bordeaux exactly, and I don't know anyone here. I have no family here, daughter and grand-daughter are in the UK.
Problem is: husband not very kind, actually a bully and I cannot imagine myself staying any longer with him under the same roof during the all of 2014 while I am dealing with treatment, it is a matter of life and death to speak clearly.
I am going to undergo surgery the 20th Jan, in Pontivy Hospital (56), and am already looking to find a place for myself to move into and leave husband.
I have no pets, I keep myself to myself, am a non-smoker, tidy, clean and a quiet person.
I would ideally like to find a place in the country, I am not prepared to live in a flat in town, even a summer house, as long as there is a shower and a wood burner to keep me warm, would be great. Solitude and quiet environment are exactly what the doctor ordered.
I enjoy walks in the country, potting around in the garden... watching UK TV channels, and listening to BBC radio channels.
Hoping this reach the people interested in letting a little place in the country, I wish to hear from you very soon.
Wish ourselves the Best.
soledad

goldenoldie

Re: new to Cancer

Postby goldenoldie » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:08 am

Hi Soledad,...it is not easy to reply to your post but I do get from it that you have a strong "inner core". This will help you through the difficult months to come....and never forget that the Forum is always open to you in those darkest moments when you feel you are alone.
Whatever operation you are going to have, will leave you tired and fragile -not really the moment to change your life too much although it does not stop the brain from planning it (I have been there and done that!) I would suggest that you ask your oncologist if, once the operation is over, you could stay for three weeks in a recuperation clinic. If he can manage that it would give you a chance to get over it in a restful place.
A laptop can be used, so if you have one take it with you and keep in touch. We will support you as best we can but for the moment I hope it will help you to know you are not alone.
Best of luck and think positive..it does help:)

soledad

Postby soledad » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:59 am

Thank you very much Goldenoldie for your welcoming message,
I understand the difficulty of dealing with illness and moving out, still I will not change my mind, since moving away will bring me peace and happiness!! I cannot wait. I am actively looking to find a small place of my own for the whole of 2014, and in the meantime put our house on the market.
No worries, I think positive always. I am not the first nor the last person to get ill, and I cannot complain, my cancer isn't the worst sort...
I only want to move on and look after myself in a peaceful atmosphere.
Thanks again for taking the time and speak to me.

I wish everyone here the best, and the most successful outcome!
Kind Regards,
soledad

pennycsf
Site Admin

Postby pennycsf » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:15 pm

Hello Soledad,
Welcome to the CSF Forum, I am so sorry that you have your diagnosis to deal with in such difficult personal circumstances.

There is a CSF Association which does cover Departments 22 and 56 - it is called CSF Bretagne Ouest. It might be helpful for you to contact them direct. Their helpline e-mail address is:

curl_judith@yahoo.co.uk

or their helpline telephone no. is:

02 96 45 76 20

This is an answering machine but someone should contact you within 24 hours.

Although this does not help with your personal life at home, you may find that having someone to talk to and to talk through your problems gives you some relief at this difficult time.

If CSF Bretagne Ouest cannot help you and you feel that having someone to talk to by phone in a different area of France would be helpful, then call the CSF National Helpline on:

05 45 89 30 05 as our colleagues there will be able to put you in touch with one of our trained members. There is also an e-mail helpline at:

05 45 89 30 05

And, OF COURSE? do use the Forum for any support we can give here.

Very best wishes
Penny

soledad

Postby soledad » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:05 pm

Hi, Penny
Thank you again for your help, it is great to hear from you.
I have a few days ago left a message on the 02 96 45 76 20 regarding my search, but I didn't leave my tel no. I prefer to be contacted by mail...
I am ok really, there is nothing to worry about, as long as it is diagnosed and treated early.
And at the moment I am focusing on finding a way out... so you see I will carry on my search for my "little place in the sun" right here in Central Brittany...
I'll give some news as and when my circumstances change.
In the meantime, I thank All of you for showing concern.
When I am settled and have more time to myself, I'd like to help as well, being bilingual I could be useful.

Best Regards,
soledad

pennycsf
Site Admin

Postby pennycsf » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:53 pm

Hi again,

I understand the need for privacy, why not try the e-mail helpline? I didn't put the National e-mail helpline on my message - silly me! - it is:

cancersupportfrance@orange.fr

We do have trained members who are happy to give support by e-mail. Also, if you contact the association in your area again by e-mail with he information from here, someone just MAY know a little private place for you! :)

With every good wish
Penny

soledad

Postby soledad » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:38 pm

Yes, Thanks a lot Penny,
Not leaving my phone number was just a precaution in case they call back when I am away...
I'll email them.
I'll email cancersupportfrance@orange.fr
thank you again,
I will not fail keeping you posted.
Kind Regards,
soledad / eve

soledad

Postby soledad » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:55 pm

pennycsf wrote: ... Also, if you contact the association in your area again by e-mail with he information from here, someone just MAY know a little private place for you! :)
Penny

Hi, Penny,
I had actually emailed Judith whose email is on the CSF Brittany page on the 13th Jan. But have had no answer yet.
Have a good day and thanks again.
eve

Return to “Welcome”