English speaking doctors

Moderators: pennycsf, PaddyFrog, KarenVM87, Cathy Allen

Debbiest

English speaking doctors

Postby Debbiest » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:24 pm

I live in North Deux Sevres. My husband is currently being treated for mouth cancer at Poitiers hospital. I don't know the names of all of the many doctors he has seen but the vast majority have sufficient English to enable us to understand. The names I know are

Prof Dufour......Ear, nose & throat surgeon
Prof Bensadoun.......Radiotherapy oncologist

Our Medecin General is Dr Maurice Eguia who has his surgery in Cersay, he speaks perfect English.

Hope this info is helpful

Debbie

csfmoneybags

Re: English speaking doctors

Postby csfmoneybags » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:27 am

Debbiest:

You can add to that list Prof Alain Daban - who used to be chef de service of the radiology department and still is a consultant there.

He also is Patron of CSF!

Andy

Jann

Re: English speaking doctors

Postby Jann » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:45 am

I live in central Brittany and my nearest Hospital is at Guingamp. I had a mastectomy there at the end of 2009.

My lovely, kind and funny surgeon was Dr Dominique Jonet and all the hospital staff are very kind and supportive. My French is ok but lets me down when stressed but Dr Jonet will happily switch to English if necessary, although if particularly busy he will automatically speak French so you might need to ask him to speak English.

There always seemed to be at least one member of the nursing staff who spoke English.

My oncologist consultant is Mme Patricia Burban-Provost at St Brieuc who does not speak English but is very nice.

With both Dr Jonet and Dr Burban I found it very useful to go with a list of questions in and English and translated to French so that I did not forget anything.

Between my husband and myself we managed but we did find that when we got home sometimes we had doubts about some of what we thought we had understood. At the end of the day this is a very stressful time and my advice would be to take an interpreter with you that is fluent. It can be very upsetting if your surgeon or doctor is a bit short or impatient with you because of the language barrier - he won't mean to be but they have very long full days are only human after all.

I hope this is helpful and I'm happy to answer any questions that might help other members.

Return to “Deux Sevres”