crazy horse legs and cramps!

Use this sub-forum to discuss alternative therapies that you have heard about or have knowledge of

Moderators: pennycsf, PaddyFrog, KarenVM87, Cathy Allen

crazy horse legs and cramps!

Postby goldenoldie » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:42 pm

Having just spent a terrible week with severe night cramps in my calves, I went to the Doctor..She prescribed magnesium tablets -four a day for a month and I have to say they seem to be working! Actually when I spoke to my neighbour,who is a nurse, she said lots of people have it this time of year and indeed whilst in the chemist saw a stand on promo for magnesium tablets (not quite the strength of the Doctor's ones)
I also spoke to a friend who is a practitioner of "Naturopathe" and she advised me to try two things to help.
1. Have a large glass of water by the bed. The first moment you think a cramp is coming on, drink as much as you can..if the trouble IS muscular cramp, it should go in 30 worked for me, even at 5 in the morning!
2. Raise the bottom of your bed..I balanced mine on two thick paperbacks..did not seem to make any difference when laying down, but my circulation was loads better and legs were not so cold.
So there you worked for me and may work for you, I make no promises but worth a try eh?
P.S. Just thought I would say that in accordance with our HON code, I have checked with the Webmaster that I could put these tips on the Forum.
P.P.S. In case you are wondering, "Crazy Horse" is a term used for when you are actually having the cramps. (ever seen a wild horse waving its legs about??) :lol:

Re: crazy horse legs and cramps!

Postby biggles » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:24 am

That's really useful. I was told to drink plenty of St Yorre (oops, advertising! :!: ) by my hospital to aid with cramps and I think that is particularly high in magnesium! ;)

Postby goldenoldie » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:22 am

Me too!...when I started my chemo back in 2010, I remember one of the nurses telling me to A) drink plenty of water and B) to find one with plenty of magnesium. I thought it was to do with the chemo then, but this latest episode has made me review exactly what elements I AM or am not taking in.
I am not getting paranoid over foods etc but on the other hand, I can well manage without weeks like I had last week, just for the sake of a simple "remedy"
PS still no cramps! yippee! :D

Site Admin

Postby pennycsf » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:18 pm

If I remember, it is all to do with lowering the acid in the body which leads to mouth problems, gut trouble and cramps. Hence helpful during chemo.

I wonder if a spoonful of bicarbonate of soda would do the trick too? That's always being hailed as a remedy. Anyone remember Andrew's Liver Salts? My grandparents swore by them although I haven't a clue what they did, you stirred up a spoonful in water before bed, I think.

Penny (and a glorious day here in the sunny south - a bit of sunshine heartens the bleakest spirits!)

Return to “Alternative Therapies”