Backing up weak immune system

From wigs to water - a forum to discuss anything concerning chemotherapy treatments - tips, questions, advice, experiences, etc

Moderators: pennycsf, PaddyFrog, KarenVM87, Cathy Allen

Backing up weak immune system

Postby lumberjack » Fri May 28, 2010 9:37 pm

Has anyone any firsthand information on AHCC (active hexose correlated compound) ?
Have read several articles about it but not sure what to believe. Do french doctors agree with its use when having chemo ? Confused !

Re: Backing up weak immune system

Postby goldenoldie » Sun May 30, 2010 5:19 pm

Hi there...I can only speak from personal experience..I have just had my second dose of chemo...The nursing staff were quite adamant that I should use nothing and they emphasised nothing...not even a proprietry cream for a spot for example, whilst having the chemo. The drugs they use are potent enough and could react badly to having to cope with something that they are not designed for. Once again its a matter of communication..if you can work out a French translation of what it is exactly and how and what you do with it, they may give the OK, but I would advice against it until then.
Of course once you have finished the chemo AND it is out of your system they might say its worth giving it a go. ;)

Re: Backing up weak immune system

Postby biggles » Sun May 30, 2010 6:33 pm

I was going to reply and goldenoldie jumped in first with the same view! I too was told to take nothing extra whilst having chemo UNLESS it had been passed by the medical team for exactly the same reasons as goldenoldie, the chemicals you are being given may react badly with any other product that you take - either to make you ill OR to counteract the effect of the chemo.

As an example I was advised by a friend to try taking evening primrose for hot flushes and fortunately asked my oncologist first - having looked it all up, he concluded that evening primrose is fine BUT NOT if it has added Vitamin supplements (particularly vitamin E) which would react against my current pills and potions.

In my limited experience, the doctors in my part of France are open to alternative treatment as long as they feel it will not be detrimental.

Keep smiling :)

Return to “Chemo”