Cold Caps

From wigs to water - a forum to discuss anything concerning chemotherapy treatments - tips, questions, advice, experiences, etc

Moderators: pennycsf, PaddyFrog, KarenVM87, Cathy Allen

termietermite

Cold Caps

Postby termietermite » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:13 pm

My neighbour here opted for one and said it was both horrid and useless.
My former neighbour in the UK did so and said it was not too bad after the first ten minutes and that it is working a treat.

Who's right? I start chemo on Thursday and am still humming and hah-ing. I'm tempted to give it a go as the hair thing is really freaking me out (my hair is very long - or is for the next 24 hours when I get it chopped off)! Anybody else got anything positive to say about them?

biggles

Re: Cold Caps

Postby biggles » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:34 pm

Hmmmh, Termie! No I can't actually help as I was not offered one, my chemo was a 100% guaranteed hair loss type so a cold cap would not have been of use. However, having gone through the total bald thing, it wasn't as bad as I feared. After the actual headshaving bit which was a touch traumatic, I didn't have any problems. I did opt for a wig which many people (who didn't realise why the drastic change of style) thought looked better than my usual mop of hair! I used the wig when in company and a hat at home, the wig was comfy and never blew off despite the gale force winds we get here. It is very quick in the shower, no need for hairdryers and I saved a fortune on conditioners. I did go out in public straight away(to the village BBQ) to get the initial worry of "do I look a freak" out of the way, and then life carried on as normal.

More problematic was when to take the wig OFF after my hair grew back!

So good luck, you'll get through but expect a couple of wobbly moments :oops:

Biggles ;)

termietermite

Postby termietermite » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:44 pm

Thanks so much Biggles. Like so many things, the more one discusses this stuff the less scary it gets.
My erstwhile neighbour and I are on the same chemo so in the end I rang the hospital and said I would give it a go. If it's really cr*p then I can always stop the thing.

Today's hair cut was far less hideous than I had imagined it would be except now I look like my late sister so the view in the mirror is a bit spooky. And blimey, it's chilly - there's a real autumnal gale whipping up in the Sarthe to boot. I pick up the wig tomorrow (the colour is being sorted). As between my top-up and CMU it's as good as free I thought: "Why not?" and opted for one.

One more step is behind me. Onwards and .... well, we shall see. :)

termietermite

Postby termietermite » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:28 pm

I hope I'm OK to do this on here. I thought maybe other users might be interested to see how good some of the wigs can be (no comments about the face underneath, please!) I'm delighted with mine which was fitted today:

All covered by CPAM and my top-up. It really is worth asking your top-up insurer what they can cover as then you can afford a decent syrup. :)

pennycsf
Site Admin

Re: Wigs, Cold Caps and Top Up cover

Postby pennycsf » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:20 pm

Hello Termie
Very impressed!! Like Biggles, I went the wig route too and didn't regret it. My mutuelle paid a hefty contribution but not the whole amount. As you point out, people might not realise that the top-up can cover quite a lot of what seems like "extras".

Perhaps we should start a "mugs" gallery for photos? Anyone any views on that?

Keep smiling, you look great!
Penny :D

termietermite

Postby termietermite » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:32 pm

I think mugshots could work. Sometimes it's reassuring to see how everybody else has turned out! Yesterday in the oncology ward it was quite good to be amongst people using various forms of disguise etc and comparing how successful they all are. I also passed on a catalogue from a UK website of UK cancer headcoverings to a member of the staff, since their stuff was so much cheaper than here - she was very impressed.

In the end I did go for the cold cap. It was very easy to put up with but as I have got really used to ice packs on my legs since I use them on a regular basis, maybe it wasn't such a shock to my system as it is to some. At any rate it did not give me a headache. Whether it helps with the hair remains to be seen but I'll keep you informed! The critical thing if anybody else goes this route is, apparently, to make sure that it is replaced the moment it begins to warm up, or it's useless. :idea: The staff at Le Mans were very good at this but I understand that that's not true everywhere.

So far no side-effects from the chemo so the bucket is poised ready for the onslaught which may begin any moment. :!:

Return to “Chemo”