Leukemia

Within this forum you will find sub-forums dedicated to specific primary cancer types

Moderators: pennycsf, goldenoldie, PaddyFrog, Cathy Allen, KarenVM87

Jackie

Leukemia

Postby Jackie » Fri May 02, 2014 10:26 am

I am being treated in Poitier for AML a type of Leukemia and wondered if anyone else had experience of the hospital and treatment

goldenoldie

Re: Leukemia

Postby goldenoldie » Mon May 05, 2014 8:18 am

hi there...I did not have the same sort of cancer as you, but...basic rules whilst under treatment
(1) "they" will rarely offer information about anything but are only TOO willing to give it if you ask. I think French people tend to just "put up and shut up" whereas us UK lot like to know whats going on and why!
(2) make sure you are registered on the Maladie Longue Durree (MLD). This should entitle you to 100% reimbursement for treatment and the use of a VSL - sort of paramedic taxi - to get to and fro from hospital. They like that because it ensure you get to the appointments (the driver will take you up to the ward to make sure you do not wander off!) and you are not a danger to others on the road. Means you can relax on the way home too.
(3) Make sure you tell them of the pain levels..pain management is a big thing over here and also if you are feeling sick or constipated -or the other extreme..again also can be controlled and is necessary for a good outcome to your treatment.

Good luck and please keep in touch...we will answer even the most seemingly idiot questions as we have "been there and done that" somewhere in France! :)

Jackie

Re: Leukemia

Postby Jackie » Thu May 08, 2014 12:22 pm

Thank you golden oldie have found they don't give you information and you have to keep asking. So far I haven't had too much pain and they are scrupulous about sterilisation or items so thank God for iPads and computers. My GP has got 100% for me and we are working with cpam and the forms re travel costs as my husband insists on picking me up and taking me to appointments. I don't know whether there is anything to help with travel costs when he visits. Thank you jackie

Return to “Specific Cancers”