Just diagnosed

Moderators: pennycsf, goldenoldie, PaddyFrog, Cathy Allen, KarenVM87

pennycsf
Site Admin

Re: Just diagnosed

Postby pennycsf » Tue May 09, 2017 9:45 am

Your list looks pretty comprehensive to me.

My guess is that the consultant will explain the results to you and then the recommended options. Don't hesitate to ask to have things repeated to make sure that you understand and your friend should also ask for any clarification. Some more questions may come up then.

We'll be thinking of you on Thursday.

Cheryl

Postby Cheryl » Tue May 09, 2017 11:31 am

Thanks Penny. Trying to get prepared!

Cheryl

Postby Cheryl » Thu May 11, 2017 6:32 pm

Hi, It all went pretty well today. I met the surgeon and she's going to operate on 23rd May as a day patient. She said they'll also test ganglions in my armpit (after marker injections), the result of which they get straight away. It's going to be just the lesion with a 'margin of security' that will be removed. I then have an appointment with the surgeon on 8th June to confirm that no more surgery is needed, them radiotherapy starting about 6 weeks after the operation (5 times a week for 6 weeks). She said that she'll also prescibe a hormone therapy which is a pill to take daily for 5 years.

It all seemed very organised and swift, so I'm impressed!

KarenVM87

Postby KarenVM87 » Fri May 12, 2017 7:47 am

Hello Cheryl,
I am glad that the appointment with your surgeon went so well. And a day patient, that is a plus, as no-one likes to stay in hospital any longer than required. You sound as if you have the answers that you needed. All the very best for the 23rd.
Best wishes
Karen

pennycsf
Site Admin

Postby pennycsf » Fri May 12, 2017 4:49 pm

Hello Cheryl,
Like Karen, I am so pleased that the meeting went well and you came away with the answers that you needed. I am sure that will make the future much easier to handle and knowing what you are facing ahead also allows you to plan.

Bon courage for the 23rd and let us know how you get on,
Penny

Cheryl

Postby Cheryl » Fri May 12, 2017 5:47 pm

Thanks for the good wishes. From what the surgeon said, it sounds as if the worst part is taking the sample from the ganglions/lymph nodes (the same thing?). I think the surgeon said about needing physiotherapy afterwards, but I didn't take that in fully!
I feel happier now that I've got dates on my calendar when things will happen.

pennycsf
Site Admin

Postby pennycsf » Sat May 20, 2017 5:27 pm

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you Cheryl. Yes, physiotherapy is often offered to help breast cancer patients regain as quickly as possible full use of the arm on the operated side. DON'T PANIC that doesn't mean you can't use your arm, only that removing some of the ganglions (or lymph nodes) in your armpit inevitably leads to soreness etc. It is worse for some people than for others and physio can help those.

You may find you are given an exercise sheet when you are discharged and that could well be enough for you.

Hoping it all goes smoothly on the 23rd!

Cheryl

Postby Cheryl » Sun May 21, 2017 8:31 am

Hi Penny, Thanks for the reassurance! I suddenly thought yesterday that I'd need a front fastening bra, so went to Intersport and bought a very supportive sports bra, plus a very baggy blouse to wear after the op. Hopefully, I'm as ready as possible now!

Cheryl

Postby Cheryl » Wed May 24, 2017 6:23 pm

I thought I'd describe how I got on: it might be useful for anyone else. The taxi arrived at 6am to get me to the hospital for 7.30. I'd already showered and washed my hair from new bottles of shampoo/gel, not eaten since the previous evening and drunk only black tea that morning. On arrival the taxi driver helped me to book in and took me to my room which was two bedded with a shower room. My roommate and I sat on our beds for an hour or so until the anaesthatist came round, asked a few questions and told me that my op would be at 12.00. Nurses followed on to take blood pressure and oxygen level. and to attach a label to my ankle. Later that morning a porter came to take me to the radiology dept where (after local anaesthetic) after an echography, a wire was inserted into my breast. It stuck out about a foot so I was wondering how I'd get dressed! I was then given 2 mammograms to check that the wire was in the correct place, then the surplus wire was coiled up and a dressing put over it. The porter then returned and took me to another department where I was given two injections of a blue substance which I was told would go to the ganglions (lymph nodes) making them easy to find.
At about 11.00 the nurse came back to my room and gave me a paracetamol and told me to put on the disposible pyjamas and mules they'd provided, then at about 12.15 a porter took me to the operating theatre area. A nurse fitted a blood pressure cuff to my ankle, ECG stickers, and put a cannula in the back of my hand to which she attached a drip. There was then a delay as they were running late, but at 13.15 I was wheeled into the operating theatre where the anaesthetist talked to me and a nurse put a mask over my face. The anaesthetic had no taste or smell, but after about 8 deep breaths .....I woke up in the recovery area as a tube was being removed from my throat. It was now just after 15.00 and I was really thirsty. I had a couple of water sprays in my mouth, and I was told that the ganglions had tested OK. Then after maybe 20 minutes I was wheeled back to my room. I was offered tea, coffee or juice, then later some bread, jam and compote. The dressings were changed for clear plasters and at about 16.30 the surgeon came to see me and said I could go home at 18.30. She gave me various papers including a prescription for physiotherapy. The hospital phoned the taxi and I got home at about 20.00 still very thirsty.
The next day (today) one of the nurses phoned me to ask how I was, any pain, any trouble with the dressings or anything else and to phone them if I had any problems.
It's back to the surgeon on 8th June by which time the lump will have been analysed to make sure that the 'margin of security' was sufficient.

KarenVM87

Postby KarenVM87 » Thu May 25, 2017 10:19 am

Hello Cheryl
Thank you for posting your personal experience so quickly. It was a very long day for you, but at least you did not have to stay in hospital overnight. It is so much better to be at home in your own bed. This will be so helpful to someone who in the future may be gong through the same.
Karen

Return to “Breast cancer”