Just diagnosed

Moderators: pennycsf, KarenVM87, PaddyFrog, Cathy Allen, goldenoldie

pennycsf
Site Admin

Re: Just diagnosed

Postby pennycsf » Tue May 09, 2017 9:45 am

Your list looks pretty comprehensive to me.

My guess is that the consultant will explain the results to you and then the recommended options. Don't hesitate to ask to have things repeated to make sure that you understand and your friend should also ask for any clarification. Some more questions may come up then.

We'll be thinking of you on Thursday.

Cheryl

Postby Cheryl » Tue May 09, 2017 11:31 am

Thanks Penny. Trying to get prepared!

Cheryl

Postby Cheryl » Thu May 11, 2017 6:32 pm

Hi, It all went pretty well today. I met the surgeon and she's going to operate on 23rd May as a day patient. She said they'll also test ganglions in my armpit (after marker injections), the result of which they get straight away. It's going to be just the lesion with a 'margin of security' that will be removed. I then have an appointment with the surgeon on 8th June to confirm that no more surgery is needed, them radiotherapy starting about 6 weeks after the operation (5 times a week for 6 weeks). She said that she'll also prescibe a hormone therapy which is a pill to take daily for 5 years.

It all seemed very organised and swift, so I'm impressed!

KarenVM87

Postby KarenVM87 » Fri May 12, 2017 7:47 am

Hello Cheryl,
I am glad that the appointment with your surgeon went so well. And a day patient, that is a plus, as no-one likes to stay in hospital any longer than required. You sound as if you have the answers that you needed. All the very best for the 23rd.
Best wishes
Karen

pennycsf
Site Admin

Postby pennycsf » Fri May 12, 2017 4:49 pm

Hello Cheryl,
Like Karen, I am so pleased that the meeting went well and you came away with the answers that you needed. I am sure that will make the future much easier to handle and knowing what you are facing ahead also allows you to plan.

Bon courage for the 23rd and let us know how you get on,
Penny

Cheryl

Postby Cheryl » Fri May 12, 2017 5:47 pm

Thanks for the good wishes. From what the surgeon said, it sounds as if the worst part is taking the sample from the ganglions/lymph nodes (the same thing?). I think the surgeon said about needing physiotherapy afterwards, but I didn't take that in fully!
I feel happier now that I've got dates on my calendar when things will happen.

pennycsf
Site Admin

Postby pennycsf » Sat May 20, 2017 5:27 pm

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you Cheryl. Yes, physiotherapy is often offered to help breast cancer patients regain as quickly as possible full use of the arm on the operated side. DON'T PANIC that doesn't mean you can't use your arm, only that removing some of the ganglions (or lymph nodes) in your armpit inevitably leads to soreness etc. It is worse for some people than for others and physio can help those.

You may find you are given an exercise sheet when you are discharged and that could well be enough for you.

Hoping it all goes smoothly on the 23rd!

Cheryl

Postby Cheryl » Sun May 21, 2017 8:31 am

Hi Penny, Thanks for the reassurance! I suddenly thought yesterday that I'd need a front fastening bra, so went to Intersport and bought a very supportive sports bra, plus a very baggy blouse to wear after the op. Hopefully, I'm as ready as possible now!

Return to “Breast cancer”