local anaesthetic for breast biopsy

Moderators: pennycsf, PaddyFrog, KarenVM87, Cathy Allen

maggie

local anaesthetic for breast biopsy

Postby maggie » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:14 pm

can anyone explain why I have to collect the local anaesthetic to take to my biopsy at least 72 hours beforehand? Thanks

pennycsf
Site Admin

Re: local anaesthetic for breast biopsy

Postby pennycsf » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:06 pm

Are you sure you need to COLLECT it? It isn't a case of ordering it in advance, perhaps?

Josie

Postby Josie » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:17 pm

Hi Maggie, whilst I don’t have any direct experience of breast biopsy in France, I do know that it is common practice, in some areas, to collect items from pharmacies to take along for use during Out Patient procedures, or at the GP surgery.
Certainly on one occasion my husband was also required to collect the prescription well in advance - as you state in your case.
The only reason we could fathom was it was a ‘belt & braces’ job, to ensure the patient has the said item. Nothing else to offer, I’m afraid. Hope all goes well, Jo.

CathyP

Postby CathyP » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:06 pm

Hello Maggie
I had a couple of biopsies at the end of last year.

Probably, as suggested in previous posts, a question of syntax. I would think the instructions state that you will need to collect from the pharmacy to get the products 72 hours in advance, in case any of them need ordering in. The patient then take the products with them to the biopsy appointment.

The local anaesthetic is used to numb the area so that pain/discomfort induced by clinical implement used to remove a piece of tissue is negated/minimised - standard practice.
All the best with this.

Return to “Breast cancer”