Diep Breast reconstruction

Moderators: pennycsf, KarenVM87, Cathy Allen, PaddyFrog

Jann

Diep Breast reconstruction

Postby Jann » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:50 pm

Hi Everyone

Four weeks ago I had a 'Diep' reconstruction to give me a new right breast :D I started to write about my experience but when I got to the bottom of page 3 I decided it was probably too long to post on the forum - It is quite a detailed account - right down to what to take into hospital :lol: so I decided it might be best if anyone who wanted to know more could post me questions. I'd be happy to share my knowledge.

All the best
Jann

pennycsf
Site Admin

Re: Diep Breast reconstruction

Postby pennycsf » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:01 pm

Hello Jann
Good to hear from you and I'd love to know more about DIEP. :?: I don't even know what the initials mean (good old google, I do now!!! "deep inferior epigastric perforators") Could you e-mail me your three pages and then I could post them as a link? Or split them into chunks to cover different parts of the procedure or whatever seems best?

And do let us know how you get along. My google reading implies that this is not much used yet although results should be excellent. Is the surgery only available in limited areas, do you know? It sounds very complex.

Jann

Postby Jann » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:23 am

Hi Penny

Yes it is a very complex operation using micro surgery (7-8 hours operating time) but the results can be very natural and all your own tissue. If I loose weight so does my boob and likewise if I put it on. Also, no later visits to hospital for replacement of implants. I have just thought of a couple of other things to add to my detailed account :) so I'll either forward it to you later today or early tomorrow. In the mean time this is a link which shows the op in brief. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYEt1Pw6 ... M3s5KXkRU0 This shows the basic procedure but in my case a larger section of skin was taken to make the new boob as - the animation seems to show the woman had some tissue left and did not have an entire breast to rebuild which I did. But my surgeon used as much of my breast skin as possible so as much sensation as possible could be retained.

Jann :)

Jann

Postby Jann » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:57 am

Six months later and I am about to have the second phase of my reconstruction which involves an uplift of the remaining breast and creating a nipple on the reconstruction. Hmmm, am feeling quite squeamish about this - I'll explain why after the op. I am really pleased with how everything has gone so far and will post an update in a couple of weeks after my surgery.

pennycsf
Site Admin

Postby pennycsf » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:48 pm

Heavens, six months already! So pleased that it is going well :D and am very keen to find out how the next stage progresses. I geuss you have been able to see the benefits now of the dreaded corset and what a delight it will be to have two boobs the same size and at the same level!! :lol:

Best of luck, it can only get better!!

Penny

Jann

Postby Jann » Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:18 pm

Thanks for bet wishes Penny :D

All done and back home! :D Only two days in hospital which was great - as nice as the hospital and staff are, I seem to have developed hospital phobia, can't understand why :roll: No corset this time, thank goodness, but support bra to be worn 24/7 for two weeks. The reason for being squeamish this time being that my surgeon did a nipple graft which involved taking some of my remaining nipple and grafting it to the reconstruction! I know!!! :o Talk about making your eyes water, even made my male friends cringe. :lol: I am glad to say that so far, as after the main reconstruction operation, I am feeling only general soreness. Paracetamol's being the only meds at the moment. It's amazing!! Dressings being changed every day for the uplift and every three days for the nipple (very carefully!!!) At the moment I can tell I have two boobs in the same place pointing in the same direction. Too early to say more as there is some swelling of course but I'm very happy so far. I go back to my surgeon in a couple of weeks for a check up so things should have settled down a bit by then and I'll do a follow up posting afterwards.

Jann

pennycsf
Site Admin

Postby pennycsf » Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:22 pm

Yipeeeeee!!! What a relief! :D

Tell us more when you can. All very exciting.

Penny

Jann

Postby Jann » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:13 am

Hi all

Well the check up went well and my surgeon is very happy with how things have gone. I go back in December for what should be my final 3 month post op check up to see if any adjustments need to be made but my surgeon doesn't think anything will be necessary. I am really happy with how things are now but I was a bit concerned about the size difference between my reconstructed breast and my lifted one after the surgery. It's all fine now though, I just didn't appreciate how long the swelling would take to go down. I do believe at one point I was heard to tearfully say 'omg, please tell me I haven't gone through all this only to end up with one boob bigger than the other!' :lol: That wasn't helped by the nurse who came to change the dressings making comment on the size difference - obviously she hadn't seen too many breast lifts or she would have known (as I do now) just how much swelling there can be. The nipple graft has taken well and although it freaked me out a fair bit at first, now it looks fine. I still feel a bit of a patch work project at the moment but week by week the appearance gets better. I still wear a bra during the day and will do until the three month post op period is over. In a previous post I mentioned that I was a bit miffed about going down a cup size but you know what? My surgeon knew what he was doing :D the boobs I have fit my frame just right. My surgeon worked a miracle for me and I've made sure he knows that :D

Jann

Rita Everitt

Postby Rita Everitt » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:21 pm

Hello Jann, I read your first post a couple of months ago and was very interested. I've since been researching breast reconstruction and have decided I would like to have the Diep flap if it's possible.
I actually emailed your Dr Jean Heusse to see if I could get a consultation, he emailed me back with the phone number of his clinic (he asked me not to email him again as it was his private email address) I've telephoned his clinic and been told he is fully booked until February and to call then, they wouldn't even give me an appointment after February. I know this is very delicate micro surgery reconstruction and after following your progress I can feel your happiness and the confidence you have in Dr Heusse and I would really like to see him. Can you give me any pointers how to get to see him.
I had a full mastectomy and all my lymph nodes from under my left arm removed in October 2012, chemo and radiotherapy followed, I've just had my second mamagram and echographie and alls well. I had my surgery and treatment in Niort and I live near Ruffec. I would travel to Rennes no problem.
I want to get the ball rolling towards my reconstruction I hope you can help me.

best wishes Rita

Jann

Postby Jann » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:43 am

Hello Rita
I am glad the posting about my Diep reconstruction was of help to you. Oops Yes, it is not the done thing to contact the Doctor/Surgeon directly ;) one must follow procedure and go through the secretaries (otherwise known as ‘they who must be obeyed’! :roll: ) , I’m afraid there is no short cut to getting a consultation. At my last check-up he told me he was booked a year in advance so I’m afraid it’s a case of phoning, getting that first appointment and being patient. When I had my first consultation I was told it would be a year between consultation and the operation. The Diep is still a relatively new procedure but it’s still worth asking your GP if he knows of a surgeon in your area who performs this procedure or of a plastic surgeon who could see you for a first consult to see if you would be a good candidate for the procedure. Otherwise, you could be waiting for a long time to get a consultation only to be told that the Diep is not suitable for you. For instance if you were really skinny then a Diep wouldn't be appropriate or if you were a long term smoker as this would affect your veins etc. which are vital for successful micro surgery.
All the best
Jann

Return to “Breast cancer”