Castration resistant metastatic prostate cancer

Moderators: pennycsf, PaddyFrog, KarenVM87, Cathy Allen

Dickie

Castration resistant metastatic prostate cancer

Postby Dickie » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:48 pm

My husband is about to complete his 8th session of chemo. After weighing up benfits/risks, he may go on to do a maximum of 10. His oncologue is already talking about putting him on Zytiga. Anyone out there have experience in this stage? Glad to hear your comments.
Dickie

PaddyFrog

Re: Castration resistant metastatic prostate cancer

Postby PaddyFrog » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:19 pm

Hi Dickie,
The results for abiraterone acetate (Zytiga) trials, are good. The FDA and other regulating authorities believe it can significantly benefit men with advanced prostate cancer. I have no first hand knowledge, but there is quite a bit of information on the Johnson & Johnson on the FDA and the respective European approval web sites.

I hope this helps you both!

Dickie

Postby Dickie » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:52 pm

Thanks, PaddyFrog. I have looked on those websites and they keep talking about OS overall survival being a matter of months. I'm really worried that we're just buying time here and everyone's loathe to talk about death. On the other hand, I keep hoping I'm just getting freaked by the statistics - should I just ignore them, or ask the oncologist how much time we have left together?
Feeling down today.
Dickie

PaddyFrog

Postby PaddyFrog » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:09 pm

Dickie, I really think that only your oncologist, can give you the answers you want. 15 years ago I started experimental treatment for Rheumatoid Arthritis, it has been very successful for me, but within that period I have had kidney cancer, which was treated successfully, and recently Prostate cancer which is currently being treated by curietherapie. Yes life is crap, but you and your husband must make the best of every minute you have together, however long it may be.

pennycsf
Site Admin

Postby pennycsf » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:04 pm

Hello Dickie,
I do believe that PaddyFrog's advice to talk forcefully to your husband's oncologist is sound. In my limited experience, French doctors will talk frankly about such difficult issues IF they are sure that you want to hear what they may have to say. Otherwise they work on the basis that you haven't asked so you don't want to know.

And remember, both you and your husband are entitled to feel down, it is hard and exhausting to be positive all the time. We can't solve any problems, but you can share them here and maybe someone will have been there before you.

Penny

Return to “Prostate cancer”