Making new Friends

Anything other than cancer!

Moderators: pennycsf, goldenoldie, PaddyFrog, Cathy Allen, KarenVM87

MREYORK

Making new Friends

Postby MREYORK » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:54 pm

Hello. Like many of us, I have used Facebook for a number of years but have become somewhat fed up with it all and the constant barrage of rubbish, fake news and advertising thrust onto my screen everytime I log into it. Yes, it's great for seeing what your friends and family are up to and great for keeping in touch with old school friends if there is a page for your school.

Recently, I've been thinking about what else is out there which might be more in tune with the 50+ generation so I Googled 'social networks for the over 50s' and found there were a few. I decided to take a look at what was on offer within my perameters of English-speakers but with plenty of International contact potential. I did not want to participate in a dating website but that's actually quite difficult to avoid. However, one of the sites I visited covered everything I thought I was looking for and, although it has dating elements to it, that is entirely separate and voluntary. The site is free and is really friendly and I feel completely safe on there. Yes, there are adverts but you can get rid of them - I won't go into how but it is simple to do based on their 'buzzer' points system. Anyway, the site is http://www.buzz50.com and is well worth looking into. I have hooked up with people from the UK, France, Germany, Australia, America and India and expect there will be more. Most of them are women but I have been corresponding with some men who are not looking for anything other than to be able to chat or write (there is also a live chat facility).

For now, I feel it is a good site for our age group; it is fun, safe and interesting and you can share as much or as little as you like and I think some of my 'friends' will become good friends over time. Give it a try and see what you think. The Administrators look out for you and if there is someone that contacts you who you are not happy with, you can block them or have them removed from the site. I'm now in direct email contact with some of these 'friens'.

KarenVM87

Re: Making new Friends

Postby KarenVM87 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:43 am

Thank you Margaret for this. I'll have a look at this site, although do I fit into this category of 50+.......I wish, add another 10 years.

MREYORK

Re: Making new Friends

Postby MREYORK » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:41 pm

Hope you like it Karen.
Margaret

Return to “Coffee break”