Microsoft Support Scam!

Anything other than cancer!

Moderators: pennycsf, KarenVM87, Cathy Allen, PaddyFrog

webmaster

Microsoft Support Scam!

Postby webmaster » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:20 pm

:twisted: There have been an increasing number of reports of telephone calls being made to English speaking people in France, purporting to come from Microsoft Support.

The callers, so far all with heavy Indian or Pakistani accents but allegedly phoning from the UK, claim that they, as Microsoft support personnel, have detected problems on the computer of the person called, and are offering to correct the problem remotely. They then try to get the targetted victim to load software on their computer, giving access to the victim's bank and/or credit card details. The end result is that large amounts of money are then fraudulently withdrawn from the target's bank.

The whole thing is a fraud.

Microsoft never make calls such as these. It is impossible for anyone to know if there is a problem with your computer unless you report the problem. There is in any case no way for anyone except your Internet Service Provider to know the telephone number associated with a computer linked to the internet.

The best thing to do if you get such a call is to tell the fake caller that you know that they are trying to defraud you. We know of instances where they try again and again if you simply hang up.

I would be interested to know if anyone has had such a call, so that I can try to see the extent of the scam. You can send me a Private Message (click on my username "webmaster" and then PM under Contact).

biggles

Re: Microsoft Support Scam!

Postby biggles » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:30 pm

The scam is also running around in the UK at the moment. My Mum in the south-east has been called, by someone she thought was Chinese, asking if her computer was running slow. As it always appears to be "running slow", she could easily have been caught by this.

Sadly, the vulnerable can be conned because their defences are lowered and that could include anyone suffering from or affected by illness, as well as the elderly. How do these people hold their heads up!!! :x

webmaster

Re: Microsoft Support Scam!

Postby webmaster » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:50 am

I also can't imagine how fraudsters like these can live with themselves!

:geek:
By the way - if any member or guest of the CSF Forum is ever uncertain about possible scams or phishing attempts via the internet or email, please feel free to contact me (webmaster). Please do so by Private Message or email so as not to clog up the CSF Forum.

Your concern need have nothing at all to do with this forum; I will be glad to assist in any way.

Return to “Coffee break”