Attention all "Free to View" TV viewers

Anything other than cancer!

Moderators: pennycsf, PaddyFrog, KarenVM87, Cathy Allen

goldenoldie

Attention all "Free to View" TV viewers

Postby goldenoldie » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:59 pm

I am sure some of you will already know this, but for those who do not, I want to make you aware of BIG changes to the "Free to View" channels on English TV i.e. BBC/ITV/Channel 4 etc.
In September "they" launched a new replacement satellite for the TV channels we watch for free, amongst others. Apparently it is more sophisticated than the old one and the beam is more concentrated on the UK than before. This means that those of us living to the South or West of Perpignan will be losing our English TV. Those living to the North or Bezier area will be OK with a bigger dish. Receptions has been experimented with bigger dishes, but the size that will be needed is huge and some Mayors will not tolerate it. The other two solutions are either a gizmo that allows you to view through your computer...a problem if you live in an isolated area where speeds are slow (like me). The other unfortunately is that we would have to buy a new HD box etc and then will have to pay for our TV. This is not a publicity spiel to get you to buy a new box, but the truth is that in 4-6 weeks we will be losing our channels.
I would like to stress that I do not have any affiliation with anyone connected to the retail of these boxes and am speaking only to make people aware of what is happening, as I have found out several of my friends did not know.

I have no wish to panic anyone into a decision - you must all make your own choice.
If you wish to have more information -as I am not a technophile by any means! - then I suggest you email Herman who owns Skydigi in Ceret (info@skydigi.fr) and he will send you the information by return which you can download and read at your leisure.
Those of you who already pay for a Sky package will not be affected and I just hope I can save some of the rest of you from the disapppointment of maybe turning on the TV to find nothing there. :o
Last edited by webmaster on Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Webmaster has not "okayed" this information!

biggles

Re: Attention all "Free to View" TV viewers

Postby biggles » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:41 pm

Yes, Goldenoldie, these changes are coming in and the further south you are from Blighty the more likely you are to be affected. Apparently "they" are changing channels one by one rather than the whole lot on one day. We were told about it some months ago with a threatened date of August - however nothing materialised. As a result we have adopted a "wait and see' approach on the basis that we won't really know the impact til the change has been made nor what can best be done in our particular location.

But you are right to highlight it, it is good to be forewarned, at least then there will be no shocks!
Biggles ;)

goldenoldie

Postby goldenoldie » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:24 am

Thanks Biggles...glad I was not panicking over nothing! I am just worried that those of our members who are undergoing treatment will lose a sort of lifeline. When I was having mine, I could not even be bothered to hold a book sometimes as I did not have the energy and just laying or sitting watching the TV was my only "entertainment". French TV is OK but hard on the little grey cells so whilst in hospital I watched it with the volume off which was an improvement!
...by the way have people noticed BBC channels are being "pixilated" a lot lately..wonder why?

goldenoldie

Postby goldenoldie » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:03 am

Just a quick update about losing the TV channels. I have just spoken to Hermann at Skydigi -who are supposed to have ordered me my new box etc. He spoke to his agent in the UK to order serveral boxes for clients (including me) and the agent has told him to wait for a while because there maybe some deal going on between Sky TV and the BBC for them to buy the ITV channels. This will put a completely different package in view and Hermann has been advised that anyone buying new boxes in the hope of seeing the regular channels may not do so!
So to avoid disappointment for clients and confusion for himself, his abiding by their instructions. SO...if you are thinking of buying a new box from any other retailer please be careful not to waste your money.
I am away all next week but have arranged to contact him on my return and of course I will pass his information on, so watch this space.
This is all getting to be a bit of a nightmare...bit being Brits, we will survive! :?

Return to “Coffee break”