Alternative / Supportive Therapies

A forum to share information and experiences of cancer treatment, tips, queries, advice

Moderators: pennycsf, KarenVM87, Cathy Allen, PaddyFrog

ChrisG

Alternative / Supportive Therapies

Post by ChrisG » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:17 pm

It has been a week since I was diagnosed with adenocarcinoma of the lung - with mets all over the place. Chemo start in a week.

The outcome of a month of tests was pretty much anticipated, so my wife and I were already deeply involved in researching conventional and alternative - or complimentary - therapies.

However, whenever we mention things like Essiac tea, Laetrile (B17), or Low-Dose Naltrexone to doctors, we are frequently met with blank stares. And while the doctor on my case was happy to dole out a morphine based painkiller with well known side effects - including the high potential for addiction with some grim withdrawal issues - he was appalled when I asked about medicinal marijuana.

What has been your experience?

pennycsf
Site Admin

Re: Alternative / Supportive Therapies

Post by pennycsf » Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:31 pm

Although I have no knowledge of any of these, I am a little surprised that your French doctors were also ignorant. The French, as a huge generalisation, seem more keen on alternative or complementary medicines and treatment than their UK counterparts.

On marijuana, so far as I am aware, it is not yet "legal" in the UK although a blind eye may be turned. Maybe it is the same here?

Do keep us posted on this, it may benefit others.

Penny

Return to “Cancer treatment”