Laryngeal Cancer and Total Laryngectomy.

A forum to share information and experiences of cancer treatment, tips, queries, advice

Moderators: pennycsf, goldenoldie, PaddyFrog, Cathy Allen, KarenVM87

Ruth

Laryngeal Cancer and Total Laryngectomy.

Postby Ruth » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:15 pm

Can I introduce myself? My name is Ruth and my husband, John has just been diagnosed with cancer of the larynx. He has had one cycle of chemo which hasn't worked and has actually made the tumour more aggressive. There is now no alternative but for him to have a total laryngectomy. This is scheduled for next Thursday and as you can imagine, it is a terrifying time for him as he faces the loss of his voice and will forever after breathe through a tracheostomy. I wondered if there was anyone out there who has been through this experience and who can offer any advice on what we can expect? Many thanks, Ruth.

pennycsf
Site Admin

Re: Laryngeal Cancer and Total Laryngectomy.

Postby pennycsf » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:38 pm

Dear Ruth,

I am so very sorry that you and John are facing this awful challenge. Here, on the CSF Forum, we will do our best to provide support and point you to helpful information. Could you tell me where in France you are? There may be a CSF Association close enough to provide more personal support, if that would be of help? Or we can put you in touch with telephone support wherever you are in France.

If you prefer to seek information through the internet, then the Cancer Research website and links are the most reliable in English. The INCa and La Ligue contre le cancer websites provide similar information, but in French. Cancer of the larynx is treated as an aero-digestive cancer in France. You will find these at:

http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-c ... cer/about/

http://www.e-cancer.fr/cancerinfo/les-c ... s-des-vads

http://www.ligue-cancer.net/localisatio ... che-larynx

I do hope this is of some help. Do not hesitate to post again.

Penny

Ruth

Postby Ruth » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:12 pm

Hi Penny
Many thanks for your reply. I am in the Haute Vienne and have already been in touch with csf in my area who have already provided wonderful support. They were the ones that suggested the forum may provide some answers for us. My head is still spinning at the moment but I just want to get as much information as I can to get John through this.
Thank again
Ruth

pennycsf
Site Admin

Postby pennycsf » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:56 am

Dear Ruth, I am so relieved that you have the support of the team in CSF Haute-Vienne, I know that you will be well looked after there.

I have sent out a message to all our active listeners registered on the Forum and asked them to read your post. I have also contacted the volunteers in my own CSF group in the Sud de France. This way I very much hope that we will be able to put you in touch with someone who has been through this and who can provide more practical information.

With warmest wishes to you both,
Penny

Annora

Postby Annora » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:49 pm

Dear Penny,

We have not had any experience of this type of cancer in Dordogne-Riberac. We send our thoughts and best best wishes to Ruth.

Linmin

Postby Linmin » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:41 am

Hi Ruth,
I am so sorry to read about your husbands condition. This must be so worrying for you both. CSF-HV will look after you well, and there is plenty of language support available, especially if you need to have a translator available at consultations to ensure you fully understand what is going to be done, and more importantly to ask the suestions about voice restoration. There is some very useful information on the Macmillan website which explains how this works in the UK and so may help you formulate your questions here. Search for macmillan cancer care/information-and-support/larynx. Their website is bei g up-dated, so the route might not be completely accurate.
With every good wish
Linda.

Return to “Cancer treatment”