Tumour in the bladder

A forum to share information and experiences of cancer treatment, tips, queries, advice

Moderators: pennycsf, PaddyFrog, KarenVM87, Cathy Allen

evianers

Tumour in the bladder

Postby evianers » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:40 pm

Oh boy! Never thought we would be here again less than three years later.
But this time it is not for us, but incredibly for our 44 year old son, father of two darling little girls.
Please does anyone have any information or advice on cancer of the bladder?
Pre-Op tests to be carried out on Monday next, followed by operation on 23 November.
What can he expect? Will he have to carry a bag? For how long? Anyone had this awful problem?
Any thoughts, info, advice, would be gratefully received and acknowledged. A very Christian lady
once wrote to us "ask yourself not 'why me' but 'why not me'? Well, that's a valid point perhaps.
Thank you everyone oh and btw, other half is doing well considering his bout with the nasties.

KarenVM87

Re: Tumour in the bladder

Postby KarenVM87 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:06 am

Hello Evianers,
So sorry to hear the latest. I have no knowledge regarding bladder cancer. However "good old google "led me to Cancer Research and Macmillan websites and here are the links

http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-c ... GwodsSUM7A

http://www.macmillan.org.uk/Cancerinfor ... ancer.aspx

evianers

Postby evianers » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:12 pm

Thank you so much Karen for the link, which we perused.
It is extremely comprehensive and well thought out, only frightening in all it's implications.
But deal with it we have to and stay calm for the little ones' [6 and 4] sake. Thanks again

pennycsf
Site Admin

Postby pennycsf » Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:09 pm

Hello Evianers,

I am so sorry that you are back again, but VERY pleased to learn that the "other half" is doing well after that very tricky year or so. :)

Like Karen, I have no personal knowledge of this except to say that, as with so most cancers, the future very much depends on the speed of diagnosis and treatment. As much as I would also have pointed you to Cancer Research and Macmillan ( for me, THE most reliable websites in English), it can also be very frightening to read all the possibilities. Being prepared is wise, but a step at a time is also necessary, as you will well recall.

Take care of yourselves and each other and thus have plenty of strength to support your son and his young family.

Do come back and share with us when you feel able,
Every best wish in this fresh challenge,
Penny

PaddyFrog

Postby PaddyFrog » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:41 pm

One of the things you must do is arrange a RDV with your local Urologist,quickly, He/she will no doubt take a Biopsy , and forward it for analysis!. After the analysis you will have your options laid out, from personal experience choose a Sector 1 expert, not a 2 it wall cost you an arm and a leg. Generally speaking if your Generalist sends a letter within a short period of time you should have a RDV. Generally speaking always attend the University hospital, they are more cutting edge than the local Central Hospital, check check and check again the Local hospital are designed all over France, if you are in any department outside 66, you will be encouraged but within the 66, use your own car, contrary to what they tell you PO 66, will not reimburse your fees, but they MUST pay for your treatment in a centre of excellent or any Clinic, Hospital within France.

evianers

Postby evianers » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:41 am

I am very sorry - I should have made this a great deal clearer.
Our son [the patient] is living in Rickmansworth, Hertfordshire.
Basically he has no option but to suffer under the NHS but we
have to give them their due, they have reacted very quickly.
We leave the day after tomorrow to give help and assistance.
Will post again the outcome [biopsy] after our return in 10 days.

pennycsf
Site Admin

Postby pennycsf » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:49 am

Thinking of you all over the next week or so, it will be much clearer after that and you should see a way forward. Keep in touch!

Penny

evianers

Postby evianers » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:47 pm

Our son [aged 44] was operated at St Albans hospital on 23/11 to remove the tumour in the bladder.
He was discharged the following day after receiving a large dose of chemotherapy as they "needed the bed".
In retrospect though, this may be just as well as the hospital was not clean in our estimation and in comparison to Thonon Hospital.
The whole family is now anxiously awaiting the results of the biopsy taken at the above time.
This, according to a letter he received last Saturday, will take 10+ days so he has an appointment at another hospital to discuss further treatment if needed.
Meanwhile, OH went yesterday for his annual post-cancer prostate examination only to be told there is a tumour on one of his kidneys {benign so the oncologist thinks}. We have to go for an ecographie next Thursday morning to see what is what. What a nightmare.
Merry Christmas everyone......

pennycsf
Site Admin

Postby pennycsf » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:16 pm

Oh, Evianers, a nightmare indeed! You know from experience that the waiting is the hard part, it will be so for your son. Your support for him and his young family will be invaluable.

On OH..........be positive, if it IS anything nasty then it has been found and will be dealt with. Fingers crossed the oncologist is right, your son's biopsy will be good and you'll be "celebrating" Christmas with a bottle or two!

Have a hug
Penny

evianers

Postby evianers » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:18 pm

Yes folks, it is another dose of the nasties.
Our son is shocked as is the whole family, but we have no option but to face it, right?
He must undergo a course of chemotherapy followed by another cystoscopy thereafter.
Invasiveness is A1 which is not too bad on a scale of 1-4, but aggressiveness is 2 of 3.
I post this not for sympathy [which is always much welcomed and appreciated of course]
but for others who might be going through a similar set of circumstances.
But life goes on, and although it will not be a very Merry Christmas for us, may we take
the opportunity to thank the team for their support :) and wish you joy and happiness
nevertheless.

Return to “Cancer treatment”