colonoscopy - and appalling cardiologist

A forum to share information and experiences of cancer treatment, tips, queries, advice

Moderators: pennycsf, goldenoldie, PaddyFrog, Cathy Allen, KarenVM87

cortina55

colonoscopy - and appalling cardiologist

Postby cortina55 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:05 pm

Not going to go into details - probably wouldn't be allowed to criticise any medical bod on here - but my OH had a dreadful, appalling, nasty experience yesterday with an extremely bullying cardio - his 2 female staff were running around like frightened little mice while he shouted at them - couldn't believe it.
Like a Fawlty Towers sketch...........was tempted to stand up to him and accuse him of bullying and abusing his staff - but we were both so taken aback we were just dumb-founded.

Anyway; long story short; OH 'should' have the final, 5 year all clear colonoscopy in few months. Because of yesterday's dreadful experience OH wants nothing more to do with this; CT scan and blood tests done - CT is 'all clear - no problem'.

Trying to convince OH to find another cardio; and to get the final visual 'all clear' with the gastro surgeon; OH not happy at all, quite adamant that 'enough is enough'.

Trying to find another cardio, in Bergerac area, who might have more patience and not act like a psychotic sergeant major - still working on that.

However, just wondering. Because of OH's slightly abnormal heart (due to being sports person with larger than normal heart), and age - (middle 70s)
I'm wondering if it is possible to have a colonoscopy with an epidural and very heavy sedation - rather than the general anaesthetic.

Anyone any knowledge of whether this is possible.

Help, guidance and advice appreciated - thank you.
Cortina55

pennycsf
Site Admin

Re: colonoscopy - and appalling cardiologist

Postby pennycsf » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:34 pm

Hi Cortina, what a ghastly experience it must have been for your OH (and for you too) for him to react in this way.

My understanding is that you do not need a full anaesthetic for a colonoscopy, although this is usual in France and is necessary for some people with particular health issues. If you have a look at the Macmillan website in UK you will see that they refer to a sedative. Here is the link, albeit related to diagnosing cancer and thus may not be relevant in your OH's situation.

http://www.macmillan.org.uk/information ... scopy.html

Have you considered approaching your GP to see what options there are?

cortina55

Postby cortina55 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:16 pm

Thank you for your help; I'll go and follow the link you have given - much appreciated.

We do not have a GP at the moment; ours died recently, there is no replacement planned, and all other local GPs have 'full lists'....... unbelievable. We are just keeping fingers crossed (there is local clinic 20 miles away) so in case of emergency that's where we'll head.

I've tried so hard to convince OH to try and work round this upsetting situation; blackmail - ie if daughter knew of attitude and refusal of final 'all clear' chance, she'd be very upset; do this for my sake; uh huh - heels dig in and OH get's more obstinate.

Hate having to do this but feel it only fair to anaesthetist and surgeon to let them know of situation and to cancel the other appointments (but I'm still putting that off in case there's a change of heart) - appointments in mid-March so have a couple of weeks yet to try and convince OH to carry on - but don't hold out much hope.

Deep sighs from me; stuck now in this difficult situation - all thanks to a Basil Fawlty of a cardio - totally, totally unbelievable situation. Can't understand how he's got away with his attitude for so long. Didn't start off very well because he glowered at us, barely said a word and didn't look at all the notes I had brought along before putting the cardio leads on OH's chest. Didn't start well, and just got worse. People like him shouldn't be allowed near patients.

Thank you for taking the time to respond'; time will tell.
Regards - Cortina

pennycsf
Site Admin

Postby pennycsf » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:00 pm

Oh dear, that must be VERY worrying! As you now have to declare who your médecin traitant is to CPAM, how do they deal with this? And if you have no GP, you must be able to ask the hospital where the colonoscopy will be carried out about alternatives to anaesthetic. Is that worth a try?

Keep smiling :)

Penny

Return to “Cancer treatment”