Time between surgery and radiotherapy

Forum for your experiences, tips, queries, advice on radiotherapy

Moderators: pennycsf, PaddyFrog, KarenVM87, Cathy Allen

Earth Mother

Time between surgery and radiotherapy

Postby Earth Mother » Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:51 am

I have breast cancer and saw my surgeon yesterday. He is going to operate, removing my breast (or part of it, depending on how the mammogram is on the day of the operation) and then I shall have radiotherapy every day for 6 weeks.

I forgot to ask my surgeon what kind of time intervel there is between the surgery and the radiotherapy. I have tried to look in the Internet without success. Does anyone know?

csfmoneybags

Re: Time between surgery and radiotherapy

Postby csfmoneybags » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:45 am

Earth Mother,

The time can actually vary considerably between patients. In my wife's case it was around ten weeks. They try t let things 'settle down (and you, too, I suspect!). Every cancer is individual, and they will consider very carefully when the best time for the RT would be. Because the procedure can be tiring, (not least from the daily journeys back and forth), giving time to recover from the effects of surgery, including the anaesthesia, is quite important. So don't worry if there is a delay - they haven't forgotten about you! - or if it is quite soon, which doesn't mean that things are desperate.

As always, if you are concerned, speak to your consultant or GP or post again here, of course. In any case, you can always ring your local CSF Branch for support - or if you are not near one, call us here at the Office in Benest.

Best wishes - I am sure everything will go smoothly.

Andy

biggles

Postby biggles » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:29 am

Hi Earth Mother
Glad that the trip to the surgeon went so well!

I am posting to back Andy up on your radiotherapy query. My own radiotherapy was after I had had chemotherapy, so I cannot personally comment on the delay between the op and the rads. However, from my own experience I do know that there was an imposed delay between the chemo and the rads to enable me to recover from one before starting the other. As Andy says, radiotherapy is tiring, mainly because of the daily trips to hospital and the disruption that causes to every day life. By the end of the 6 weeks, I was pretty exhausted, not helped by my appointment being at 8am through January and Feb with a 45 min trip each way. I had a break of 8 weeks between the last chemo and the start of the rads.

The amount of time does seem to vary quite considerably from one person to another. From a local friend who did go from the op to the radiotherapy, the delay seemed to be dependent on the healing of the scar. She had a lumpectmoy and a 4 week break.

Like Andy, I don't think you can draw any conclusions from whatever delay you have between your op and the RT. There is also the hospital schedule to factor in and the number of people needing treatment. You need to trust your surgeon and oncologist who will choose the best time for YOU.

Good luck and let us know how it goes, we'll be thinking of you. ;)

Biggles

Earth Mother

Postby Earth Mother » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:40 pm

Thank you both for you helpful replies. I shall post again when I know the answer. I am having my surgery soon and so I can be offline for a short time.

Earth Mother

Postby Earth Mother » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:44 pm

I have this week started my radiotherapy. I had to have two operations to remove tumour from one of my breasts. The surgeon did not remove enough the first time around.

So I waited about 6 weeks after the end of the second operation and between the radiotherapy. The period would have been 4 weeks after the first operation but obviously everything had to be changed when the surgeon decided to re-operate.

biggles

Postby biggles » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:17 am

That's interesting. And just shows that it does change from person to person, type of op, recovery period etc. This beastly cancer is a very individual thing, so although we can share stories, it is not always possible to draw any conclusions. For me, it is reassuring to hear other peoples experiences, even if they are not exactly the same, as it makes me feel less alone with the thing.
;)

Earth Mother

Postby Earth Mother » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:21 pm

I agree, Biggles, it's good to share and swap experiences. When I had my cancer diagnosis, it was great that this Forum existed and I read many of the threads, even if they didn't apply to me.

Return to “Radiotherapy”