Skin cream - almond oil

Forum for your experiences, tips, queries, advice on radiotherapy

Moderators: pennycsf, PaddyFrog, KarenVM87, Cathy Allen

biggles

Skin cream - almond oil

Postby biggles » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:15 pm

There seems to be a lot of different advice relating to creams to help sore skin after radiotherapy. My rad centre at St Pierre in Perpignan told me to use NOTHING during the treatment, despite the increasingly sore and sunburned look! However, when the treatment was over, I was advised to cover myself in pure almond oil - which I bought from the baby counter in the pharmacie. It certainly helped and I liked using something "pure".

Does anyone have any other advice on this?

Biggles

Linmin

Re: Skin cream - almond oil

Postby Linmin » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:08 pm

Hi There,
The usual advice is not to apply cream BEFORE a treatment session as this will enhance the burning effect - bit like cooking oil! I was told to use as much as I liked after treatment sessions. I used a cream called 'Lipiderm'. It is available over the pharmacy counter. I was also prescribed' Biafine' by my radiologist. Again with the instructions to use AFTER treatment, not before. Eventually I was given a terribly staining red product to use ( I can't remember the name)to ease the burning sensation. Whatever is used must be without perfume. Similarly for washing, I was told to use natural products that contained no perfume. Maybe the radiologist needs to be questioned on the advice given - do you mean before or after a session? It is confusing isn't it when every centre offers different advice!

pennycsf
Site Admin

Re: Skin cream - almond oil

Postby pennycsf » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:28 am

Yes, Linmin, you are right. Even for washing I was told to use unperfumed and natural products, in fact, I still do! One problem with looking things up on the internet is that you can receive conflicting advice, so I am with you, ask your own radiologist for his advice.

Return to “Radiotherapy”