Reimbursement to a UK citizen

What is CSF? Find out here with details of all our affiliated associations

Moderators: pennycsf, KarenVM87, Cathy Allen, PaddyFrog

Post Reply
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:34 pm

Reimbursement to a UK citizen

Post by Jan3411 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:33 pm

Is this possible for out of pocket expenses ( totalling about 500€) after emergency surgery on a UK citizen in France where post operative treatment is envisaged in England? The enquirer holds an EHIC card.
Thanks for info.

Posts: 134
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 4:33 pm

Re: Reimbursement to a UK citizen

Post by KarenVM87 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:07 am

Here is the link to the NHS website and below the part which is relevant to your question. When you return to the UK I suggest to contact NHS on the number below. ... ance-card/

"Claiming a refund using your EHIC

Some countries expect you to pay your health bill when you are treated and then claim a refund afterwards using your EHIC. You should always try to apply for your refund before you travel home.

Remember to keep all receipts and any paperwork (make copies if necessary). You or your insurance company may need them if you're applying for a refund.

For details on how to claim a refund, see the information for the country you're visiting(external link opens in a new window / tab).

Some countries ask patients to pay a contribution towards the cost of their care, such as for prescription costs. This is known as a co-payment or ‘patient share’.

You can claim back the difference between the total bill and the ‘patient share’, however, the actual ‘patient share’ is non-refundable (since July 2014).

It's the responsibility of the foreign authority to decide the amount of the ‘patient share’ and therefore how much is refundable from the total bill.

For further advice, contact the Overseas Healthcare Team at the Department of Work and Pensions:

phone: 0191 218 1999 (Monday to Friday, 8.00 am to 5.00 pm)

Post Reply

Return to “CSF and how to contact us”