Summer is coming to a close

Here you can contact others, share social experiences and learn that it is OK to laugh again

Moderators: goldenoldie, Cathy Allen, KarenVM87

KarenVM87

Summer is coming to a close

Postby KarenVM87 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:32 pm

Hello everyone,
Our summer is nearly over, and I wondered if anybody would like to share what they got up to during these months. Did you go away? Did you have family over to see you? Or did you try anything new?
If you would like to share with us all please post.
Shall I start..................... a bit boring really. I worked all summer. This year I decided not to grow any vegetables, so I rotivated the veggie plot, and put down some blue tarpaulin over the earth. It did not stop the weeds appearing, but not so bad. I did it again last week and put back the tarpaulin. Here we had our first real rain yesterday and what a blessing. I suppose I cannot complain as I did not need to cut the grass very much at all.
I have a week off next week and having two new ceilings plaster boarded, so then I can paint them and it will make these areas much brighter.
Nobody came to stay, "billy no mates ", no my sister and two nieces were over earlier in the year.
I did not have a holiday this year, I had a big bill for some work done on my car, and I will have to pay the builder for his work. But i have booked 10 days in the UK at Xmas to be with my family. My youngest niece is expecting a baby boy and he will be about six weeks old then, so I have been buying a few bits to take over.
Did I try anything new? , yes I have joined two dating websites. To date I have not seen anyone suitable, perhaps I need to respond to some of the emails that I have received. But as I am 6 feet tall and the french tend to be shorter, who knows! The other site is british mainly, and again I am too fussy. Yes thats me. I have quite a laugh at some of them.
Thats me for now.
Karen

diparkin

Re: Summer is coming to a close

Postby diparkin » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:59 pm

Good to hear from you Karen. Empty time is so hard for us, the bereaved.
My summer was happily filled with 5 sets of visitors, & one visit to someone in the Aubrac- so good to recharge self with old pals.
Downside is the sense of running a small hotel - bedding & towels washing, food and toilet roll buying. We also had same number of people to our gite, which is i hour 45 mins away, with same hunger for bedding etc.
Meanwhile my grief about my daughter - 2 years dead this week - is compounded by great anxiety about her 14 year old son (who is probably the reason why i live in France) his papa tries to block my seeing him, doesnt communicate with us and even confiscates his pc so he cant "speak" to his friends. As he lives in a tiny hameau, this is very hard for him. I feel my distress for him, just compounds the distress at his mother's death.
I dont even know if papa got him into college, or which one.
The major griefs darken the minor ones. An aged skinny cat adopted us for a couple of months and I was very sad when he died.

Cancer sud de France and its activities, are a really positive aspect of life. :P

HOPE thos dating agencies throw up someont to have some fun with

KarenVM87

Postby KarenVM87 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:37 am

Hello Diparkin
Gosh you have had a busy summer, with running a small hotel. Yes in my former life I ran a hotel in Cornwall for a period of time and its very demanding with long hours, but I loved it.
Another anniversary for you, what can I say, nothing, but I can understand some of your grief. Its so sad that you are unable to have regular contact with your grandson. Maybe in time your son in law will come around. Family is so important.
Pets are part of a family too, so losing your cat is not easy. Will you have another?
Just an update on my two dating websites............ several have contacted me, but they are either too short or too young, or marriage. Perhaps I am being too picky!
Thats all for now, I must go back to painting my ceilings.

diparkin

Postby diparkin » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:28 pm

Hi kareb

Forget the" too short or too young "thoughts. Why not give the guys a whirl, whatever age or height?

The cat was almost a stray, didnt belong to us, just adopted us. I think we go away too often to have one of our own.

Meanwhile my son cancelled his Xmas invite to us in Brighton ; we had booked flights and a hotel , as he said they couldnt put us up (despite us having given them a sofa bed when we moved to France) The reason is that daughter in law's father is likely to die very soon and his wife (DOL's stepmother) had also just lost her own father- very sad for her. So they all decided to go to the stepmother's in Somerset , because she will be very sad.

Why they couldnt invite the step mother to come and stop on the sofa bed?

I am quite upset, as son tells me this in the same week as the 2 year anniversary of his sister's death, which he hadnt remarked on. Son has also been hopeless at staying in touch- didnt tell me daughter's GCSE results, didnt confirm earlier in the summer that grandson had arrived safe to be met by him at airport.
Families are important, so long as they remember to be!
big hugs

Return to “MOVING FORWARD - a social and support group for the bereaved”