translator

Here you will find documents that may be in English or French

Moderators: pennycsf, KarenVM87, Cathy Allen, PaddyFrog

lottie13

translator

Postby lottie13 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:32 pm

I am trying to find a translator to help us out and act as go between between my husbands professors secretary who speaks no english and my husband who speaks very little french.
I have done all the translating up to now but am suffering from stress and need to step out for a short while.
I have asked the hospital if they have a translator "non"
I asked Apted, "non"
Today we had a visit from the Ligue against cancer in Morbihan " non "
Interesting they said there is no support in france for sufferers of cancer, no right to a nurse to come in during DIY chemo at home.
and if my husband would like a psyche sessions with a french speaker they could arrange it, as cancer is very stressful, actually we both find the french admin and continuous errors far more stressful than the cancer itself.
18 months ago the assistante sociale in paris started to apply for funding for the huge bills from rotterdam.
today the reps from ligue morbihan said, oh the reason she couldnt sort it out was If you live and get treatment in Morbihan then that section may be able to help, but not if you are followed in Paris.
Paris say if you are followed in Paris and live in Morbihan then they can't help either.
grrrrrh.
I always thought you were entitled to a translator if you didn't speak french ' or which ever eu country you happen to be in)
Then they ended the session by asking me for 5 euros for a calendar, then drove off in a smart new van with the ligue painted on the side!

pennycsf
Site Admin

Re: translator

Postby pennycsf » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:01 pm

Hi Lottie
Can you let me have the date of the next rdv in Paris and I will send out a general message? We can at least try and find someone to accompany your husband.

Hang on in there,
Penny

lottie13

Postby lottie13 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:19 pm

have replied under my other posting!

pennycsf
Site Admin

Postby pennycsf » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:35 pm

By the way, I have looked on line for the rules and regs about the provision of translators. As far as I can see from the various French websites, INCa etc., there is no obligation to supply a translator but most hospitals, they say, do have someone available who speaks English. Like you, I had an idea that this was an EU requirement, so I looked at the NHS website to see what that says - no obligation there either!!!!!

It also seems that an external interpreter brought in by the hospital may have to be paid for by the patient (in UK too).

Penny

Return to “Useful Documents”