Removal of fluid from the breast after a lumpectomy.

Moderators: pennycsf, PaddyFrog, KarenVM87, Cathy Allen

Jan3411

Removal of fluid from the breast after a lumpectomy.

Postby Jan3411 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:47 pm

A friend is having real problems in this respect.Her own GP refuses to do it,saying her surgeon would want her to go to Montpellier,where she was operated on (4hour return journey,by which time the breast is full of fluid again)Her surgeon on a visit yesterday laughed at this idea.Can she override her GP's decision and find somewhere else close by without his authorisation? Are visiting nurses equipped to do this procedure or must it be done in hospital?My friend tells me that a nurse and not a doctor has always carried out the procedure so far.Any help please?
Jan

biggles

Re: Removal of fluid from the breast after a lumpectomy.

Postby biggles » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:04 am

Hi Jan,
Silly question - if her surgeon was on a visit yesterday, what did he/she advise? I'd follow the surgeon's advice if possible.

CarmasTARN

Postby CarmasTARN » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:45 am

I would also recommend talking to surgeon, if GP is dismissing the problem? I am sure nurse can do it locally, or she might need to be readmitted to sort out a drain. Call surgeon first thing.

Jan3411

Postby Jan3411 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:10 pm

biggles wrote:Hi Jan,
Silly question - if her surgeon was on a visit yesterday, what did he/she advise? I'd follow the surgeon's advice if possible.

Yes in hindsight the question to have asked would be "OK so what do I do now?!"Unfortunately (I speak from experience!) one does not always ask the right question at the right time! But thanks for your advice.

Jan3411

Postby Jan3411 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:15 pm

CarmasTARN wrote:I would also recommend talking to surgeon, if GP is dismissing the problem? I am sure nurse can do it locally, or she might need to be readmitted to sort out a drain. Call surgeon first thing.

Thank you for your input---yes to asking the question that in hindsight should have been asked on the day.But thanks also for raising the second aspect, that she might need to be readmitted re drain.

biggles

Postby biggles » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:46 am

I have just had some information from Amoena, who make breast prosthesis and bras and such like. By chance I was looking at prosthesis for swimming and up popped an article about drains after surgery. It is here and may be of interest. ;)

http://www.amoena.com/uk-en/your-lifest ... ound-care/

Jan3411

Postby Jan3411 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:05 am

biggles wrote:I have just had some information from Amoena, who make breast prosthesis and bras and such like. By chance I was looking at prosthesis for swimming and up popped an article about drains after surgery. It is here and may be of interest. ;)

http://www.amoena.com/uk-en/your-lifest ... ound-care/

Thanks biggles.Good article.In fact, in this case,amazingly, the fluid and inflammation concerned were apparently sucessfully dealt with, long distance, on the recommendation of a friend of the patient,by a "coupeur du feu" (guerisseur) of which every village has one in rural France! Two extremes of the French approach to medicine! Thanks again for your input--

Return to “Breast cancer”